Monday, August 10, 2009

St. John Berchmans, S.J. and the "Five First Sundays"

PIOUS PRACTICE OF THE FIVE SUNDAYS

His Holiness, Leo XIII, by a rescript of the S. Congr. of Indulgences, May 17, 1890, granted to the faithful who, on the five Sundays immediately preceding the feast of St. John Berchmans (August 13th) (Now November 26) , having received the sacraments of Penance and the Holy Eucharist, shall perform some pious exercise in honor of the saint, and shall visit a church or public oratory and pray there for the intention of the Sovereign Pontiff, an indulgence of seven years and seven quarantines on the first four Sundays; and a plenary indulgence on the fifth Sunday.

Prayer

St. John Berchmans, my most loving patron, seraph of charity, I rejoice with thee at the ardent fire of charity which kept thy pure and innocent heart always at peace and united to God; I humbly pray thee, obtain for me such ardor of divine love that it may remove from my heart every inordinate earthly affection, destroy my evil tendencies, and cause me in all my actions to be prompted by the purest intention : All for the love of Jesus! All for the greater glory of God.' Pater, Ave, Gloria.

Indulgence of 300 days, once a day. — Pius IX, May 24, 1847.

Link (here)

From the prayer book entitled, With God, By Fr. Francis Xavier Lasance

No comments: