Monday, August 24, 2009

My Jesuit, My Hobbit


I am staying at the Ionosphere buiding of the Manila Observatory for more than a year now. The building looks like a block of brick on the sea of grass. The windows are squares and the doors rectangles. It is stuffy inside for all the windows are closed. It smelled like the Great Smials of Michel Delving when I first came here. The old hobbit who lived here was Fr. Victor Badillo, S.J. But since he is past 80 and physically weak, though his mind is still sharp, and spends his time at the Jesuit Infirmary of the Ateneo de Manila University, I was asked to man the place in his stead. I just arrived from the infirmary; I visited him there for a few minutes to tell him about what happenned to his old computer files. He is glad that somebody is taking care of his files. Today marks the first time that a bond is established between us, that of a teacher and a student. I still have much to learn from the old hobbit.

Link (here) to the blog entitled St. Holbytla's Monastary

No comments: