Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Editor Of Homiletic And Pastoral Review

Fr. David Vincent Meconi, S.J., is professor of patristic theology at St. Louis University, where he teaches courses on Trinitarian theology, Christology and soteriology in the early Church, the history of Christian deification, and St. Augustine of Hippo. He recently marked his first year as editor of Homiletic & Pastoral Review. Fr. Meconi recently spoke with Carl E. Olson, editor of Ignatius Insight, about being a Jesuit, a patristic scholar, and editor of Homiletic & Pastoral Review.

Ignatius Insight: I read that the first Jesuit you met was a professor teaching a course on atheism. What's the story? How did you come to be a Jesuit?

Fr. Meconi: From as long as I can remember I prayed about being a priest: growing up, I was surrounded by great men who had given their lives to Christ in that special way and their example made quite an impact on me. Deep down, however, I never thought I would be happy as a priest in a parish (truth be told, I don't have the patience!).

However, when I arrived at Marquette University and learned about the Jesuits and their mission of teaching and writing and prayer, I started to think that here was my calling. Fr. Donald Keefe, S.J. (now out at Fordham) was a great influence on me during those days, as was, of happy memory, Fr. Leo Sweeney, S.J.—both, giants in their fields and great men of the Church.
Link (here) to read the full interview at Insight Scoop / The Ignatius Press Blog

3 comments:

Rachel Kondro said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maria said...

"If you want to think and live like a Catholic, like a Christian, you must center all your thoughts and actions around the Eucharist. All of theology is ultimately Eucharistic: it is ecclesial (not just my opinion) and it is an act of worship, meant to glorify God (not just to extend my own status or publication record) and I think the Fathers knew this best".

Amen. What a wonderful appointment!

Stewart said...

Nothing illustrates the raging battle inside the Society of Jesus like the Homiletic and Pastoral Review and its antithesis America. Now, if Fr. Meconi could just be missioned as Editor in Chief at America