Friday, October 22, 2010

Jesuit On "Counter-Truth"

We oftentimes suspect where truth might lead us, so we cleverly refuse to go there without ever honestly spelling out to ourselves what we are doing. We choose to deceive ourselves. We build an apparently plausible "counter-truth" to justify how we choose to live. We quietly put aside in our hearts any comparison between what we do and what we ought to do. The good, the true, and the beautiful, however, are interrelated in ways that can hide their inner-connections from those who do not want to see what is there.
Link (here) to read full piece by Fr. James Schall, S.J. at Ignatius Insight.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much Fr. Schall S.J. for pointing to G.K. Chesterton. I had been putting off reading him for years but your brief tour de force provided just the right impetus. I just read the first part of his "Book of Job" which begins with a fluid stream of insights...Stunning and also strange.

Strange because I was drawn to this particular book after having been pondering last night about how it is that God could seem to have favored tricky Jacob over Esau. I asked God for an answer and today Chesterton addresses "sneaky" Jacob at the very beginning of his "Book of Job".

There are exceptional insights in the introductory pages of this book.

EA

TonyD said...

I really enjoyed reading this article – I’d never heard of Chesterton. Now if I come across his works I’ll be more motivated to try reading them.

Anonymous said...

TonyD -- Hopefully you will let us know what you think of what you read and why.

EA

TonyD said...

EA,

With my current stack of unread books I may never get to Chesterton -- though I would like to.

But perhaps you can share some of the insights you got -- particularly the intriguing Jacob vs. Esau you alluded to...