Friday, October 8, 2010

Former Guns N's Roses Guitarist On His Jesuit Education

Duff McKagan
I went to Seattle University--a Jesuit school--a few years back. If you know anything about Jesuit schools, you will know that the Jesuits require a ton of philosophy courses for their students to advance.
Hence, I am a quasi-expert armchair philosopher. There is a Buddhist saying that says, and I paraphrase:
"Be the water flowing down the stream, and not the boulder in the stream trying to hold the water back."
.
Link (here) to read the blog post by Duff McKagan

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Notice that the rock star doesn't mention Christ anywhere in his column. Yep: those Jesuits in Seattle sure had a meaningful influence on him. "Jesuit" University is no longer synonymous with "Catholic" University. In fact, "Jesuit" and "Catholic" have come to mean very different things today.

Anonymous said...

I went to a Jesuit University and "All I Got Was This Lousy T-Shirt (Education)"

Anonymous said...

My experience was quite different--Jesuit education=Catholic education

Anonymous said...

In my (10 years) experience you don't really get philosophy or theology from Jesuits unless you sign up for it. I don't know what the Guns and Roses star is talking about. One might get lots of sociology though.

I used to think Jesuits were great. A Fordham Philosophy professor has been one of the most important people in my life. Indeed, he must be in heaven. However, how could I ever recommend anyone to get a Jesuit education today except perhaps at 1-2 schools?