Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Fr. Joaquin G. Bernas, S.J. On St. Ignatius And Law Schools

As we celebrate the feast of St. Ignatius with this Mass, I thought that I might begin by asking what relevance St. Ignatius has for a Law School.
I ask this question because, when St. Ignatius first wrote the Constitutions of the Society of Jesus, which is the fundamental law of the Jesuit Order, he said that Jesuits should stay away from running Law schools because they are far from the goals of the Jesuit Order.
And, he also said that if Jesuit schools must teach law, it should not be taught by Jesuits. Which could leave me jobless.
Link (here) to
Fr. Joaquin G. Bernas, S.J., his blog is entitled, Father Bernas Blog's

1 comment:

TonyD said...

So St. Ignatius reversed himself in his lifetime.

To me, that is an important reminder that Saints, like Christ, are still men and subject to poor understanding and miscommunication.

So, while I want to follow God's will unquestioningly, I also know that I can't blindly follow current interpretation. Responsibility is very real and very costly.