What made this moment special, however, was that when Louie and his classmates stepped through the door, not only did their lives change, but so did the very existence of the novitiate at Grand Coteau. The Jesuit Novitiate of Saint Stanislaus Kostka, their entrance inaugurated a new novitiate: , named after the patron saint of Jesuit novices.
Jesuits first came to Grand Coteau in 1837. The Religious of the Sacred Heart had opened a girls’ school here in 1821 and had petitioned the bishop of Lyons, France, to send Jesuits to open a boys’ school.
Some of the First Year Novices are:
and Louis Hotop