Monday, June 6, 2011

"I Don't Go To Church No More,"

St. Ignatius Mission Church in St. Ignatius, Montana
"It took me 40 years to separate the Catholic religion and belief in God," said Garry "Bob" Salois, who despite his palpable anger took off his cap when he entered St. Ignatius church. "I believe there's got to be a creator of all things. But if Jesus Christ and his bunch are a true religion, he's forsaken me a long time ago." Leland "Jimi" Hewankorn has worked to reclaim his tribal heritage, turning to traditional ways. "I don't go to church no more," he said. "I confess to Him only. I don't confess to a human being."
The men said they're waiting for something more valuable than money. "I got over being angry," Burke said. "But I want an apology. Not for myself, but the whole Indian race." Salois hopes the Rev. Patrick Lee, the leader of the Oregon Province, comes to St. Ignatius to apologize in person - although at the thought, his anger flashed anew. "I'd tell him, I don't accept your apologies. It's too damn late," he said. 
But a moment later, he added, "I'd go and see what kind of apology he gives. If it's a real one, I'll accept it. But if it's one of their old phonies, I'll spit in his face and go away." And Hewankorn wants to ask the old, unanswerable question. "Why? Why did you do that to us?"
Link (here) to the full Missoulian article.

1 comment:

Maria said...

"They shall go out and see the corpses of the men who rebelled against me; Their worm shall not die, nor their fire be extinguished; and they shall be abhorrent to all mankind".

Isaiah
Chapter 66 Verse 24