The Jesuit began work on their church in Quito in 1605. The co-ad-jutor (Brother) Marcos Guerra arrived in the city about 1613, and the had been a brillant architect in Naples, before joining the Order. He corrected mistakes what had so far been done, and gave the final overall shape to the construction. When died in 1668, the church and neighboring buildings, including the three cloisters, were it all intents and purposes finished. Work began on the facade in 1772, and was not finished until 1765, on the eve of the expulsion of the Jesuits from the Spanish dominions. The facade is a marvel of the American barroque and plateresque styles. Six columns of Salomon flank the main entrance, and this was the first time that these pillars had been incorporated into American architectural styling.