Sunday, June 7, 2009

Catholic Dissident Group "Voice Of The Faithful" Meets At Protestant Church To Diss Jesuits

The Voice of the Faithful chapter of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Bridgeport heard a riveting account of priestly sexual abuse during its meeting this week.

E. Brian Walsh, a 58-year-old musician and writer from Bristol, said that it was only two years ago that he came to grips with the trauma, stemming from the rape that was inducing suicidal thoughts, and sought help from Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (SNAP).

"The people I've met in SNAP have given me the love and affection that has allowed me to regain my self respect and dignity," he told 35 listeners in the First Congregational Church on the Green.

He related how he had been abused at the age of 14 at a Jesuit institution in the Metropolitan New York area.

"It was a shock I never recovered from, and one that has remained with me ever since," he said.

He had been a freshman at the time.

"I had been the valedictorian of my New Jersey elementary school and had a zest for life," he said. "But after that, my whole world tumbled around me, and I never regained my positive attitude. I drifted from job to job and into and out of alcoholism and drug addiction.

When in his late 30s, Walsh kicked the bad habits and obtained a responsible job, but something continued to nag him and wouldn't let go.

However, Walsh didn't actually connect his earlier downward spiral to the sexual molestation, which he likened to the murder of his soul.

"It took many years for me to realize the connection," he said.

He has recently completed a book on positive thinking and the capacity of individuals to change the world. Titled "Years of Encouragement," it is available at "lulu.com" and on the Amazon book list.

Walsh attributed much of his recent success to Beth McCabe of Clinton, a leader of the SNAP branch based in New Britain.

She revealed that she had been abused by a Long Island priest as an 11-year-old and had been so traumatized that she immediately filed the incident in the deep recesses of her mind.

"It had been too horrible to reflect upon," she said. It would be 20 years before it penetrated her consciousness again and did so while she was working with the Connecticut Division of Children, Youth and Family Services.

Link (here) to the full article.

No comments: