Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Fr. James Keenan, S.J., "Trying To Learn What I Can Understand"

My thoughts on the election of Pope Francis? Absolutely stunned. I only knew of the cardinal as the "other contender" in the previous conclave.  What do I think now? 
I am simply watching him and trying to learn what I can understand. I watched him give his sermon in Italian to the cardinals Thursday in the Sistine Chapel. I understood him to say that nothing we do means anything if we don't do it as a disciple of Christ, in the name of Christ crucified. I resonated there with his Jesuit vocation. 
What we Jesuits share is the experience from the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius that we are each personally called to follow Christ. The summons he received through the Exercises, he was reminding his brother bishops, is the fundamental call for each of us.
Link (here) to The Fish Wrap to read the full article on Fr. James Keenan, S.J.

No comments: