A little history.
Preston Catholic College was a Jesuit school for boys, which began in 1865 in a house in Mount Pleasant (a narrow passage between the Square and Mount Street). In 1879 it moved to 29 Winckley Square and expanded over the next century until, at its peak of 915 pupils in 1970, it occupied the whole of the west side of the square from the northwest corner (number 34) as far south as Garden Street (number 25), with the exception of numbers 29 to 32. Classrooms, science laboratories and a swimming pool were built along neighboring Mount Street in the 1930s. A gymnasium in Garden Street opened in 1970. The college also possessed extensive playing fields one mile (1½ km) south of the college, to which boys walked via the Old Tram Road. The introduction of comprehensive schools in Lancashire forced the school to stop admitting under-16 pupils from 1978.
In that year, its sixth form merged with the sixth forms of the other two Catholic grammar schools in Preston, namely Winckley Square Convent School and Lark Hill House School, to form Cardinal Newman College.Initially the Winckley Square sites continued to be used, but by 1986 the new college was concentrated at the Lark Hill site. Some of the Mount Street buildings have been demolished. The buildings on Winckley Square are used as offices. However the gymnasium and playing fields are still used by Newman College. A blue plaque commemorates the college at its original entrance, number 34.
Link (here) WWI Preston Catholic College War Memorial (here)
Here is a current story.
A former City lawyer yesterday told how he endured years of 'terrifying' sexual abuse by a Jesuit priest as he launched a £5million compensation claim against his Roman Catholic school.
Patrick Raggett, who is now 50, wept as he recounted his harrowing ordeals four decades ago which shattered his previously 'golden childhood' and cast a shadow over the rest of his life.Link (here)