Thursday, January 29, 2009

Jesuit Estancias: Jesús María

I took the bus to the small town of Jesús María to visit two Jesuit Estancias (ranches) left over from the years of colonization. I have already made clear my love of old buildings, but have I described my love of the Jesuits? Ever since I received my Jesuit education at Seattle U, I have felt a strange tie to the Jesuits. I don't consider myself Catholic and I never even took a class from a priest, but in many ways my Jesuit education has led me to South America, and for that, I decided to pay my respects.

It was a very rewarding journey. First of all, the architecture was stunning. The first estancia I visited, Jesús María, seemed more like a castle. Inside, the rooms contained objects of daily life on the estancia, which I found equally fascinating. There was the typical museum fare, like old tools and pots and furniture.
There were also really creepy religious paintings and scary looking crucifixes, which I loved. I love the ones that show Jesus dripping with blood and gore. I love the drama of Catholicism.
There were also amazingly delicate and detailed medallions, some decorated with mother of pearl. I got to stand on the balcony of the church, and it was gorgeous. Its dome and walls were painted baby blue with white accents, and it had an intricate chandelier. It seemed peaceful, the way churches are supposed to.
Sometimes, I find Latin American churches to be too gaudy and overdone, so that they distract from the purpose of going to church in the first place. But I found myself thinking, I might actually enjoy going to church in a place like this!
I also highly enjoyed wandering through the halls and rooms of the estancia, imagining the items in use, a Jesuit perched on a tiny, ancient bed, 0r myself gazing out the window hundreds of years ago. Enchanting, enchanting!

Link (here) to the blog post with lots of good pictures entitled, The Jesuit Estancias of the Sierra de Córdoba at the blog called Tiff in Chile.

No comments: