Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Regis High School Student Wins Olympic Gold Medal In Swimming



Melissa "Missy" Franklin
Missy Franklin didn't let a heavy heart slow her down. The 17-year-old swimmer, already a member of a bronze-winning relay team on Saturday, won the women's 100-meter backstroke today, making her first individual Olympic medal a gold one, but the high school student from Aurora, Colo., also must have been thrilled to provide some cheer for her still-grieving hometown. "Right now, all of my races are dedicated back home to Colorado,
Franklin, who will be a senior at Regis Jesuit High School
told the Los Angeles Times last week in the wake of the July 20 shooting at a Dark Knight Rises screening in Aurora that left 12 people dead and 58 injured. "No matter how well I do, I'm going to give my best in every single race, and every single race, I'm going to have that Colorado incident on my mind." Happily, Franklin has been radiating good vibes since her arrival in London.
Link (here) to Eonline.com

1 comment:

Maria said...

Did anyone notice? One of the first things that she said when speaking to a reporter was: "God has been so good to me". Swim on, Missy...