Sunday, November 30, 2008

A Wahhabi Upbringing And Jesuit Training

This is a portion of a question and answer session at recent speech by Saudi Royal diplomat Prince Turki Al Faisal

Wahhabism, just briefly, there is a very good book by a very difficult name for me [DeLong-Bas]. I think some of you know the book I am talking about. I advise anybody who wants to know about Wahhabism to read that book. It’s a very good analytical piece on Wahhabism. As you know in Saudi Arabia when somebody says Wahhabism, we say what are you talking about. We don’t consider we’re Wahhabis because for us to accept that would be like accepting that we have invented a new [mithab?] or a new school of thought in Sunni Islam, which we don’t. As Wahhabis between quotation marks we follow the Ahmad bin Hanbal school of thought in Islam and one of my favorite remarks that I make to Americans in particular is that I have the best of both worlds, I have a Wahhabi upbringing and Jesuit training at Georgetown University..

Link (here)

No comments: