Saturday, November 1, 2008

Fr. Francis Dermott Rabaut, SJ "Rest In Peace"

My first Jesuit funeral. Fr. Dermott Rabaut, SJ passed away at Columbiere Center this Sunday.
I met Fr. Rabaut on my very first day at Columbiere. At the time, he was able to communicate, but only with some considerable difficulty.
Still, we were able to share a simple and beautiful moment as I held his hand as he struggled to articulate basic questions about the incoming novice class as well as biographical details about myself. Seeing that kind of love for the Society and its future even near the end of his own journey was inspiring. I'd ask for prayers for Fr. Rabaut and his family, especially tomorrow...even expected passings can be hard.

Link (here) to Matthew Spotts, S.J. full post, his blog is called And whither then? I cannot say.

When asked this question:
"Religious life has been like …"

Fr. Francis D. Rabaut, SJ
responded
"I am especially grateful for the many opportunities I have had. First: to speak of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Second: to encourage all daily to renew the promises made at baptism by praying the Morning or Daily Offering. Third: as a fitting return of love to the Sacred Heart of Jesus to live out these promises each day."
Link (here) Fr. Rabout recently celebrated his 75th year as a Jesuit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fr Rabaut was a great and holy man. He had an incredibly strong devotion to the Sacred Heart and loved the Church. He came from a great family too; his father was the US Congressman who had "under God" inserted into the Pledge of Allegiance. May he rest in peace!