Sunday, June 22, 2008

Lost In Translation

This is from a young blogger in the Phillipines, named Victor, he is discussing his interactions with Jesuits.
"Where in the Bible does it say Homosexuality is sin?"
So let's make this short because I'm tired. The whole pot luck thing was this "Stump the Priests" thing where we had to ask the priests questions and try to stump them. I was hoping I could just throw out a whole bunch of Biology concepts (like Squid reproduction) but it only had to be religious. grrr. So one of the questions was about homosexuality. I was preparing myself from some harsh words/cries from the whole parish but the priests were actually really progressive about it. I'm not sure if they themselves are tolerant (I hate "toleration" but it's close enough) but they quickly said that homosexuality no where in the Bible is said to be sinful and that most of the passages used to say so are taken out of context. SCORE ONE FOR THE HOMOS! whoo. haha. This one kid from Jesuit High School started answering a whole bunch of random questions that stumped the priests. It was weird and awkward but apparently they teach theology at Jesuit. didn't know that but it makes sense. so yeah. fairly good day. I get really nervous around the churchly types though.
Link to Victors full post (here)

No comments: