Saturday, March 21, 2009

The Jesuits In Venice

Another killer, pictured here in a detail, is the Martyrdom of St. Lawrence, which hangs in the (S. Maria Assunta) Jesuit Church of Venice (located in Guidecca), just a couple of blocks from where Titian (Tiziano Vecellio) lived his last 40-odd years of his life. Off the beaten track, this seldom seen marvel makes use of a few light verticals in the hands of the roasted saint, the windows above and the barbecue pit below to anchor the otherwise chaotic movement and space.
Link (here)

2 comments:

Will Daddario said...

The Jesuit church, known as I Gesuiti in the volgare, isn't located on Giudecca. I believe it's in il sesitere di Castello, on the north side of Venice. I visited it last summer. Is it possible you are thinking of another church?

Joseph Fromm said...

Will,

I will have to revisit the subject. I have been to Venice in the past and could not get out of the organic breathing San Marco. If you or any one else can help me with a better link. I would be most grateful.

JMJ

Joe