St. Ignatius includes five “points”, or steps, to go over as one prays the Examen.
- “to give thanks to God our Lord for favors received”
- “to ask for grace to know my sins, and to rid myself of them.”
- “to demand an account of my soul from the time of rising [or the time of the previous Examen if it is your second of the day] up to the present examination. I should go over one hour after another, one period after another.”
- “to ask pardon of God our Lord for my faults.”
- “to resolve to amend with the grace of God.”