Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Flexible Jesuit

Jesuit Yoga I
2008-05-07
Some excerpts.
Several months ago I mentioned that I was teaching a seminar on the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali. This fundamental yoga text, from nearly 2000 years ago, is brief -- 195 very succinct verses -- but it is the reference point for all the later yoga systems....Yoga is extremely supple in its ability to take on various rationales -- nondualist, devotional, health-oriented, Hindu, Buddhist, etc. -- and my impression is that even expert teachers of disciplined yoga practice are rather fluid -- sometimes unhelpfully vague -- in their explanations as to what it is all for. The Sutras help pin down a succinct attitude toward the practice and its purpose....In the 1960, Fr. Gaspar Koelman, a Jesuit working in India, did a meticulous study of Patanjali, The Patanjala Yoga, that is invaluable even today. From a very different angle, in 1990 Ravi Ravindra, a Hindu scholar, published an insightful interpretation of the Gospel according to John entitled The Yoga of the Christ.... And --
lest we forget -- there have been many columns, essays, and letters by Christian leaders cautioning Christians against being enchanted by physical practices that ultimately mean a whole way of life -- possibly or probably incompatible with Christian values. (examples: Benedict XVI writes on the (here) , Theosophy (here) and Yoga and the Catholic parish (here) )
(See for instance, Laurette Wills' comments at http://www.praisemoves.com/ChristianAlternative.htm and, of course, the 1989 letter of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, "Some Aspects of Christian Meditation" ) So the fruits of my seminar -- this latest "Jesuit Yoga" -- need to be carefully assessed, for the sake of the general question, How can we benefit from the ancient and wise tradition of yoga, as Christians?....Note to the studious reader: The Sutras are available in numerous translations, and those interested would do well to sample several, perhaps beginning with those by Georg Feuerstein, Chris Chapple and Yogi Ananda Viraj (real name: Eugene P. Kelly, Jr. ) , or Barbara Miller.

Link (here)
Photo credit, guru Perasiriyar Brahma Shri K. S. Sundareysan of Chennai Yoga: Patanjalee Yoga (here)
Manressa Jesuit Retreat House, yoga program (here)
Great post here at A Catholic Life, entitled Father Jeremy Davies: Avoid Yoga, Massage Therapy, and Horoscopes (here)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"To take such feelings for the authentic consolations of the Holy Spirit would be a totally erroneous way of conceiving the spiritual life." I don't think most people practicing yoga are thinking of it in that way.

I studied yoga vedanta for some time some years ago. I don't find the cautions from Christians about demonic influences particularly convincing, although I have been told by eastern teachers that meditation/yoga can be dangerous in opening up yourself to the demonic in those "other planes". I guess that is why the guru is so important.

When I think of Patanjali I think of the word "amorphous" converse to the body yoga stereotype.

I do slight yoga exercises every morning and it helps with some issues I have with carpal tunnel and feet problems, particularly.

For me, the problem with doing a lot of yoga was the feeling that my kundalini was clotting up at the base of my spine, so to speak.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this and for your work on yoga and Christianity. You posted on my blog:
lightonchristianyoga.blogspot.com

I have been teaching "Power Yoga" for several years, including at the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops.

It is very confusing. I am almost afraid to face the fact that a consistent yoga discipline does open one up to demonic influences. Maybe this is true. I say this because based on my own experience, I have felt a..."power" that seems good, but in the light of Catholic theology- I do not think this empowerment is a holy thing. I thought maybe this "power" could be for good, could be holy, but I have not that to be true in my personal efforts. Then again, I am currently without a spiritual director or any guidance with sorting it all out. I do pray the rosary every day though- this helps tremendously!

P.S.- Thanks for the recommendation of the Ravindra book, I just ordered it through Amazon.com!

Peace,
Melisa

site said...

This can't have effect in reality, that's what I think.