Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Should I Fall A Victim To 'Yellow Jack,'

Each "province" of the Society of Jesus has some foreign mission confided to its charge. Thus an outlet for Irish zeal is afforded by Australia, Tasmania, and New Zealand; and England has the West Indies. To the West Indies, therefore, Father Law was sent. A letter to his father on the 12th of November, 1866, is dated from "the Tasmania at sea," 25 degrees of north latitude, 51st degree of west longitude, wherever that may be. "I was so delighted, as I told the Provincial, with the generosity with which you willingly and cheerfully let me go to Demerara. For, should I fall a victim to 'Yellow Jack,' I could not die a better death after martyrdom; and I hope that in that ease God in His mercy might overlook all my other shortcomings. However, by the help of your prayers, I trust God may spare me many years to labour for His glory, and, if it be His will, to see you again, my dear, dear father. But fiat voluntas Dei. This is not our home. Heaven is our home, and it is there the best and happiest meeting will take place. But you know and understand all this far better than I do. Pray that I may know and understand it better every day. I shall be so delighted when Friday morning comes, for I shall then, I hope, be able to say Mass at St. Thomas's. It will almost appear to me like a first Mass. For, before this voyage, I had only missed saying Mass one day since my ordination."
Link (here) to the full account of Fr. Augustus Law, S.J. in the Irish Monthly

3 comments:

Kelly said...

"Australia, Tasmania, and New Zealand"
There's some Taswegians that would have you hung or that. :P
It's like saying "The US, Alaska and Canada" but worse.

Joseph Fromm said...

Love it!

Maria said...

I trust God may spare me many years to labour for His glory... This is not our home. Heaven is our home, and it is there the best and happiest meeting will take place.

Imagine a world where Faith of this kind, among Jesuits, and laity, was the norm...How much happier would we be...