Wednesday, October 13, 2010

My Dad Was An AP Jesuit

Brian Dennehy
Brian Dennehy was raised in Red Hook until he was 12, when the family moved to Mineola, L.I.  "My father had gone to the seminary and took advantage of all the education before strategically announcing that he had no vocation and managed to land himself a job with The Associated Press," says Dennehy.
"He became what I like to call an AP Jesuit. 
One of those Irishmen who told me and my brothers, 'Take whatever job you want as long as it has a pension.'"
Link (here) to read the full article.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I once heard an American Jesuit describe the progress of these opportunists as follows: enter, get a first degree, then a doctorate, order a new suit and set of clothes, get your teeth fixed, find a job, leave. Speaking from experience, I have noticed several Jesuit scholastics who have mysteriously left for no clear purpose on completing their degrees. I this a form of exploitation, I wonder?