Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Not Saint Elswhere, But Vows! By Karen Hall

"Vows" Update
As noted yesterday, I have turned in my last Brotherhood script. I still have a week left at the job, which has been a joy from beginning to end. (JOY! Did everyone hear that???)
The season starts shooting in mid July and I'll give you fair warning when my episodes are going to air. I have been on a job interview for a show that may be the next thing I add to the sidebar. I hope it works out, but these days, nothing is predictable.
Stay tuned. Now I'm about to spend the weekend finishing my "Vows" polish. It's going to be a tough one. Not in terms of the amount of work, but it's the draft where I really have to open a vein.
I don't know how to explain that to non-writers. What we say in writer lingo is that it will cost me something to write this. I don't know how to explain that, either. It's when you write the stuff you don't even want to think about. It's kind of like making a roux.
You have to have the guts to keep watching it get blacker and blacker ... and you know that if it gets too black, it's ruined ... but if you're a wimp and pull it off the heat too fast, there's no fixing the gumbo after that. Sometime next week, I'll turn the draft in, and I'll be at the part I've dreaded from the first day I sold it. The part where I have to wait to hear whether my baby will live or die. It is safe to say that I have not reached Ignatian indifference on the verdict. And my spiritual director just left for his 30 day retreat, so I don't see it happening short of something I'm not anticipating. But if anyone wants to say a prayer or light a candle, I would be very grateful, to say the least.
Link (here)

No comments: