Showing posts with label Wisconsin Province. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Wisconsin Province. Show all posts

Thursday, December 6, 2012

"I Wasn't Trying To Show Off For The Ladies,"

Former Priest Ray Bourgeois and Janice Sevre-Duszynska
The Rev. Bill Brennan, a longtime peace activist, has been ordered not to celebrate the Eucharist or other sacraments publicly, or to present himself publicly as a priest by the Archdiocese of Milwaukee and his religious order, the Society of Jesus. It comes three weeks after Brennan celebrated Mass with Milwaukee native the Janice Sevre-Duszynska during an annual protest at what was historically known as the School of the Americas at Fort Benning near Columbus, Ga. And it follows the excommunication and defrocking of School of the Americas Watch founder the Rev. Roy Bourgeois, a Maryknoll priest who participated in Sevre-Duszynska's 2008 ordination in Lexington, Ky. (The former School of the Americas is now called the Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation.) Brennan, who remains a priest and lives with other retired Jesuits in a Wauwatosa retirement home, said he knew he risked censure when he celebrated the sacrament with a woman priest. "Sometimes in our lives we have to trust our conscience and bring about the consequences," said Brennan, a Wauwatosa native who taught at Marquette University High School beginning in 1968 and spent 17 years working in Latin America. "I wasn't trying to show off for the ladies," he said. Fellow peace and social justice advocates voiced disappointment in the censure. And Sevre-Duszynska called it "outrageous" and Brennan "prophetic." "Bill has exemplified with his life the fruits of the spirit," she said. 
"He has worked for justice with the oppressed and marginalized, and for the liberation that Jesus teaches in the Gospel." 
In the Catholic Church, the local bishop -- in this case Archbishop Jerome Listecki -- confers the "faculties" priests require to serve publicly in a geographic area. Jesuit spokesman Jeremy Langford and Listecki's chief of staff, Jerry Topczewski, said it was a joint decision to withdraw Brennan's faculties for public ministry.
Unlike Bourgeois' sanction, the move does not appear to have prompted a Vatican review, at least for now. Both the Jesuits and the archdiocese said they planned to take no further actions against the elderly priest. Brennan, who was arrested during a protest at Fort Benning in 2011, is one of two Milwaukee-area priests who have been sanctioned, at least in part for their actions there.
 A 75-year-old Franciscan priest and peace activist, the Rev. Jerry Zawada, was suspended by the Franklin-based Franciscan Friars Assumption BVM province after celebrating Mass at Fort Benning with Sevre-Duszynska in 2010 and 2011. His case is pending before the Vatican, said the Franciscan provincial, the Rev. John Puodziunas . Zawada, who served previously in the Tucson, Ariz., diocese, said he's had no assignment since his suspension. The Catholic Church prohibits the ordination of women. Sevre-Duszynska, of Lexington, Wis., is ordained in the Association of Roman Catholic Women Priests, which represents about 124 priests and 10 bishops around the world. The group claims legitimacy, saying the bishop who ordained its first women bishops stood in apostolic succession -- the line of Catholic bishops who stretch back to Jesus' apostles. The Vatican rejects that argument. The ordination of women in the Catholic Church is highly controversial, though a majority of Catholics appear to support it -- 59 percent, according to a 2010 New York Times and CBS News poll. Theologians have long debated the legitimacy of the ban, and advocates for women priests often are dealt with harshly.
In 2008, the Vatican decreed that women who seek ordination and those who ordain them face automatic excommunication from the church. And in 2010 it listed the attempted ordination of women as a grave sin on par with pedophilia and heresy. 
Brennan said his decision to celebrate Mass with Sevre-Duszynska grew not out of some "wild-eyed liberal" protest or heady theological research, but from his deep admiration for his own mother.
Link (here)

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Wisconsin Jesuit Celebrates Mass With Woman His Priestly Faculties Suspended

Fr. Bill Brennan, S.J. and Janice Sevre-Duszynska
A Catholic priest who participated in a eucharistic liturgy with a woman priest last month has been ordered to no longer celebrate the Mass or perform any other priestly duties. Jesuit Fr. Bill Brennan, a 92-year-old Milwaukee-area priest, said the superior of his religious community told him of the restrictions Nov. 29, saying they came at the request of Archbishop Jerome Listecki. Brennan, a retired parish priest and former missionary to Belize, participated in a liturgy Nov. 17 with Janice Sevre-Duszynska, a woman ordained in the Association of Roman Catholic Women Priests movement. Brennan said he was hesitant to confirm the news regarding his loss of faculties because he was also ordered not to talk to the press. "I'm risking my existence in the Jesuit order by talking to you," Brennan told NCR. "But if I've committed a serious sin, [the archbishop] is supposed to be responsible for condemning me ... he's supposed to stand up and be responsible for that."
Brennan said the restrictions include:
  • Suspension of priestly faculties, prohibiting him from performing any priestly duties in public;
  • Refraining from contact with media, "through phone, email, or any other means";
  • Not appearing as a Jesuit at any "public gatherings, protests or rallies";
  • Not leaving the Milwaukee area "for any reason" without his superior's permission.
Brennan said he hasn't had any formal communication with Listecki. Jeremy Langford, the director of communications for the Jesuits' Chicago-Detroit province, which is merging with the Wisconsin province, said in a statement Monday the order removed Brennan's priestly faculties "after conversation with the Archdiocese of Milwaukee." The Jesuits "did not approve or sanction" the November eucharistic liturgy and "regrets Fr. Brennan's participation in it," read the statement. "The Wisconsin province has no plans to take any further action," 
Langford said in an interview, calling Brennan a "wonderful Jesuit" who has "fought for great causes his whole life."Julie Wolf,  communications director for the Milwaukee archdiocese, said the restrictions on Brennan were a "mutually agreed upon decision" between Listecki and Brennan's Jesuit provincial, Fr. Tom Lawler
Brennan likened his support for women's ordination to support for women's suffrage: He remembers that at one time, his mother was not able to vote. "I was born in 1920," Brennan said. "All the while my mother was carrying me and six months after, she could not vote. That's the real initiative in my attitude toward women's ordination." Brennan said he understands arguments that women do not have a right to ordination and said ordination is a "privilege that is granted to men." "Why isn't it granted to both?" the priest asked. "And the fundamental approach that I have is that, after all, women have an eminent role to play in the work of creation of children with men. What about the sanctification process? Don't they have any share in the preaching of the Gospel?"
The Vatican labels the ordination of women in the Catholic church as a grave offense and says participants are excommunicated latae sententiae, or automatically. Pope John Paul II's 1994 letter Ordinatio Sacerdotalis effectively forbade discussion of the issue, saying the church's teaching on the matter was to be "definitively held by all the Church's faithful." Before deciding to participate in the November liturgy, Brennan said he discussed the matter with Lawler. 
The invitation to join Sevre-Duszynska at the liturgy was causing him a "real, genuine conscience problem," Brennan said he told Lawler. "I'm not trying to defy the church," Brennan said he told Lawler, adding that he sees women's ordination as a legitimate question. "Why is it that this privilege of celebrating the Mass and preaching, why is that exclusively a male privilege? Where do we get that? Isn't that worth discussing?" Lawler told him not to assist at the liturgy, Brennan said. "At the time, I was still struggling to try to decide what I wanted to do, because obviously I knew I might end up outside the Jesuit order," Brennan said. "But I just felt this was an earthy issue, and you can't cover it over with spiritual or authoritarian dictates."
Link (here) to NCR for the full story.

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Jesuits Sign Recall Petition Of Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker


Jesuit  recallers include:
Father Gregory John O’Meara, SJ  1404 W Wisconsin  Milwaukee   View Petition
Father James O’Leary, SJ    1404 W Wisconsin  Milwaukee   View Petition
Father Grant Garinger, SJ  1404 W Wisconsin  Milwaukee   View Petition
Father  Jose Luis Moreno Aranda, SJ   1404 W Wisconsin  Milwaukee   View Petition
Father  David G. Schultenover, SJ  1404 W Wisconsin  Milwaukee  View Petition
Father David Shields, SJ  1404 W Wisconsin  Milwaukee    View Petition
Father  G. Simon Harak, SJ    1404 W Wisconsin  Milwaukee  View Petition
Father  Karl Voelker, SJ   1404 W Wisconsin  Milwaukee   View Petition
Father  Michael Zeps, SJ    1404 W Wisconsin  Milwaukee   View Petition
Father Robert M Doran, SJ   1404 W  Wisconsin  Milwaukee View Petition
Father Patrick J. Burns, SJ    831 N  13Th St   Milwaukee   View Petition
Father  Thomas  Hughson, SJ   831 N 13Th St   Milwaukee    View Petition
Father  Thomas Sweetser, SJ   831 N 13Th St Milwaukee   View Petition
Father John L. Treloar, SJ    831 N 13Th St Milwaukee    View Petition
Father  Charles Stang, SJ   726 N 34 Street  Milwaukee   View Petition
Father  Terrance N.  Brennan, SJ    726 N 34 Street  Milwaukee   View Petition
Father Eugene Donahue, SJ   4800 Fahanwald Rd  Oshkosh    View Petition
Father  Thomas N. Schloemer, SJ   4800 Fahanwald Rd  Oshkosh  View Petition
Father John Schwantes, SJ   4800 Fahanwald Rd  Oshkosh  View Petition
Father Gerald T. Regan, SJ  10100 W Bluemound Rd   Wauwatosa   View Petition
Father Michael D. Kurimay, SJ   10100 W Bluemound Rd   Wauwatosa   View Petition
Father John Daly, SJ   10100 W Bluemound Rd   Wauwatosa   View Petition
Father Joseph Eagan, SJ  10100 W Bluemound Rd   Wauwatosa   View Petition
Father John A.  Hennessy, SJ   10100 W Bluemound Rd   Wauwatosa   View Petition
Father Daniel J. Kenney, SJ   10100 W Bluemound Rd   Wauwatosa  View Petition
Father  John Wambach, SJ 10100 W  Wisconsin Ave  Wauwatosa  View Petition
Link (here) to  read the all the details of the Jesuits that signed the petition to recall Gov. Scott Walker
Background
Gov. Scott Walker attended Marquette University (here)
Gov. Scott Walker and his anti-abortion pro-life positions (here) 

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Jesuit Arrested And Convicted Of A Felony In California

Readers of this blog may recall my post from two weeks ago today about Joe Hoover, S.J., a classmate of mine at the Jesuit School of Theology who was found guilty of obstructing a public thoroughfare during an Occupy Oakland march on January 28, 2012.  Joe was sentenced on Easter Monday to ten days in the “sheriff’s work program,” a fine of $233, and two years probation.  Because Joe already had credit for time served for the four days he spent in jail after his arrest, he needed to serve only one more day in jail, which he did last Saturday at Glenn Dyer Jail in Oakland.
Link (here) to read the full post at America Magazine

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Jesuit Mental Health Chaplian Removed By Archbishop

Archbishop George Lucas
A Jesuit priest has been permanently removed from ministry in the Archdiocese of Omaha on an allegation that he had inappropriate contact with a student at Milwaukee's Marquette High School in the early 1980s. Father Perry Robinson, 69, taught at Marquette for 20 years before he was fired in 1988 for taking inappropriate photographs of boys and men. He was dismissed last month as associate pastor at St. Gerald Parish and barred from all ministry in the archdiocese after a Marquette alumnus, now living in California, reported the incident to Omaha Archbishop George Lucas. Omaha Chancellor Deacon Tim McNeil said church officials there appear not to have been told about the circumstances surrounding Robinson's Marquette dismissal, or that he was twice sent to a Maryland psychological treatment center, when they agreed to accept him for ministry in the 1980s. While the latest allegation remains under investigation by the Milwaukee-based Wisconsin Province of the Society of Jesus, or Jesuits, McNeil said Robinson will not work again in the Omaha area. "We have a zero-tolerance policy," McNeil said. The Jesuits' Milwaukee spokesman, Rory Gillespie, said the order felt the Omaha ministry was appropriate for Robinson - he first served as a mental health chaplain there - and that it would have discussed his history with the church officials in Omaha.
Link (here) to the full story at the Milwaukee Sentinal

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Jesuit Father Thomas Lawler has been appointed to be the next provincial of the Wisconsin Province of the Society of Jesus. The appointment was made by Jesuit Superior General Father Adolfo Nicolás, and it will take effect in June 2011. Fr. Lawler will succeed Jesuit Father Thomas Krettek.
Link (here)