Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Fr. Kelly Back In The Clink, Prison Ministry From The Inside

Fr Steve Kelly SJ and Guadalupe CW Dennis Apel Arrested on Nagasaki Day at Vandenberg AFB
By Michael Wisniewski
Aug 12, 2008

Guadalupe (CA) Catholic Worker Dennis Apel and Fr. Steve Kelly, S.J. were arrested outside the main gate of Vandenberg AFB on August 9, commemorating the 63 anniversary of the bombing of Nagasaki. At our annual Hiroshima/Nagasaki day commemoration vigil, Dennis and Fr. Steve were arrested for violation of their "Ban and Bar" letter that they received for the May 19, 2007 witness and arrest, which prohibits their presence on or near the base for life. Mike Wisniewski (LACW) also was given a warning to leave or face arrest for violating his "Ban and Bar", but he chose to leave the vigil area. Dennis, Fr. Steve, Mike, and Jeff Dietrich from the LACW, face another hearing on Sept. 18 for the May 19, 2007 action.
Link (here)

Just a note, I could not find any independent news source about this incident, this seems to be a blogger exclusive. JF

Photo is of Fr. Kelly presiding over the famous "coffee table" Mass (here)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

In a more perfect world, the good father would be locked up for the "coffee table mess".

One can dream!

Anonymous said...

Just a quick note on Father Kelly... When I was in a Catholic volunteer program a few years ago, we did a 3-day silent Ignatian retreat. I'm pretty much a leftist, so I was excited to learn that Kelly would be my spiritual director because of his history of activism.

But his approach was quite traditional, Christ-centered, Jesuit spirituality. Whenever I wanted to pull our conversations towards his/my activism, he kept on persistently forcing me back to the Gospel passage I was supposed to be contemplating, what Jesus was saying to me through those ancient words.

Joseph Fromm said...

Thank you for your input. It is important.

JMJ
Joe